viernes, 11 de febrero de 2011

Mubarak resigns: Reaction from Egypt

Mubarak resigns: Reaction from Egypt 

Hosni Mubarak has stepped down as president of Egypt, after weeks of protest in Cairo and other cities.

The news was greeted with a huge outburst of joy and celebration by thousands in Cairo's Tahrir Square - the heart of the demonstrations.
Here BBC News website users in Egypt give their reaction to the events of 11 February.

Baher Ibrahim, Alexandria

Crowds in Tahrir Square celebrate - 11 February Protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square responded with cheers and car horns
This is one of the greatest days of my life. I am proud to have participated in this revolution from the start. I am now definitely proud to be an Egyptian, and I am sure better days are to come for Egypt.
I hope that the army will dissolve the current government and just have a temporary role to restore order and stability until there are elections.
I just have one request: Please do not say "former President Mubarak". Say "ousted President Mubarak."

Dr Mohamed Nagib, Cairo

We were all there - dancing, chanting and singing that we are the Egyptian people and we have taken back our freedom.


This is a momentous event in the history if the Egyptian people. It will change the whole Arab region”

I live in Cairo - I have just come from the street where I was celebrating with the people.
This is a momentous event in the history of the Egyptian people. It will change the whole Arab region.
Today we have freed ourselves from the military dictatorship. We know that it is an inalienable human right to be free. We will choose our government and our representatives. We will topple any government from now on if they don't respond to the demands of the people.
Today I saw in the eyes of every Egyptian in the streets a sense of dignity - people have been changed. We want to be a free country.
I took my little girls, wife and brother and their children on to the streets. We were all there - dancing, chanting and singing that we are the Egyptian people and we have taken back our freedom.
We got on the tanks and chanted our celebrations. We put our hands together with our flags - everyone - the old and the young. It was indescribable - I felt completely exalted. I felt proud to be an Egyptian.

Jaroslaw Dobrowolski, Cairo

From my balcony I can see the presidential palace. I think it's a good and positive thing that Mr Mubarak has gone.
Yesterday there was disappointed when he didn't go - there were high expectations. Egypt is a complex country as there are many different elements in play, so I couldn't predict what will happen next.


Click to play
Protester: 'I'll tell my children we made this revolution possible'
I have lived here for 20 years, and I have seen how the political system gradually becoming out of the pace with what is happening in Egypt. The politics in the country is one thing, but I stayed here because I like the country and its people.
Today, Egypt is very different from years ago. Before, you had to take a bus and go down town to make a phone call as the phones often didn't work.
Now, it is much more in keeping with the developed world: you can pay bills online; use a cellphone; there's an infrastructure; and now we can be connected with the internet - what has been happening here is proof of this.

Maged Salib, Cairo

I hoped for a peaceful transition of power, following the law so I am worried about this move. This is what the people want, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for them.
Now we must get from the army an exact declaration of what they will do. The only legal authority now is from the parliament members. If the army says that they will dissolve our parliament then we will have no constitution, no government and no vice-president.
This is a very worrying time and the people who are celebrating now should stop treating this like a soccer match. They just wanted to get the president to step down but they haven't thought about the ramifications.
I've just been out onto the streets and everyone waving flags and sounding horns. Most of my friends are not happy about this, because we don't like the idea of the army taking power. We don't need another 60 years of military rule.

Source:

No hay comentarios: